"Direct marketing is any communication through any medium which reaches people directly, or where they respond directly."
Encouraged by the previous words – here's a part from the book called Successful Direct Marketing Methods. This chapter in it is titled "Creating Responsive Banner Ads"
Testing has confirmed that following guidelines lead to banner ads that get the highest number of clicks:
- Keep it simple. Too much text, too many graphics, too many colors overload users and discourage them from clicking through.
- Show people. Banner ads that depict people that users can identify with get higher CTRs (Click-Through-Rate).
- Use clear qualifying language. The better the copy describes what a site is about, the better qualified the the person clicking through will be.
- Use a strong call to action. The call-to-click should define the main action(s) prospects are expected to take.
- Create a sense of urgency. Ask users to click now; no one can click on a banner once it's gone.
- Use the words "Click here" on the banner. Simple as it sounds, banner with "Click here" consistently pull better than banner ads without.
- Use color carefully. Look at the sites (if possible) where the banner ad will run and choose colors that will compliment the campaign objective on those sites.
- Use movement. It draws attention to the ad on an otherwise static page.
- Think of a banner ad as teaser copy for a Web site.
- Use high production values. The cleaner and more professional a banner ad looks, the more credibility it conveys, and the higher the CTR will be.
- Test, test, test. Test new banner ads, new offers, new calls to action, new approaches, and rich media.
"Top 7 Mistakes on Performance Based Online Advertising in Finland – and How to Get Them Right" or "How to Create An Effective Viral Marketing Campaign"
This one is also worth reviewing (I didn't write it) How to Brief Your Advertising Agency
As always, please share these articles with your friends and colleagues. Sharing knowledge helps everyone.
Subscribe to my blog via email CLICK HERE